Tuesday, August 24, 2010

So Close...

And so it continues. Brad took me in Monday for the "procedure". I reported to Abbott at 6:30 am for "venogram with possible IVC filter removal". Finally, we can get this behind us and I (we) can move on and get back to "normal" (whatever normal is for us now).
Initial CT scan showed no more clots - but no question that I would need a stent. I then went to the cath lab (where there were familiar faces - a much better situation than the last time I was there). I started out positioned on my belly so they could access the vein behind my knee to get to the iliac vein for the stent placement. Got some good sedation to relax me (which it did). The stent placement was successful - hooray! They flipped me over to my back, went in through my jugular to remove the filter (which, in my mind, seemed like it would be a piece of cake - but, what do I know?). I must have been in this position for 1 1/2 hours or so (was drifting in and out from the pain medication - the worst part of this was severe back pain from being on my stomach for so long).
Long story short, they weren't able to "grab" the filter to remove it. Apparently it is leaning against the vessel wall. Had to stop trying for now because I had been under fluroscopy for the maximum time. Soooo - back again next week. The good news is, they know exactly what they need to do and have a good strategy for doing it. Two interventional radiologists (the one that was in charge today and the one that did the initial procedure in April) are going to work together to get it done.
Just when I think it is over, there is more... Procedure was on Monday. Wednesday night, took the bandage off of my knee (where they went in for the stent) and it started bleeding like crazy (I intentionally waited until Brad was home to take off the bandage - call it a gut feeling). Par for the course. Not to be too gory, but blood all over the bathroom. Shower looked like a scene from Alfred Hitchcock's "Psycho". Brad patched me up and off we go (again) to the ER at Abbott. Went through the whole "routine" there and got patched up with a pressure dressing there. Home again by midnight.

As I am finishing writing this saga on Friday, of note, I bled through my dressing tonight :-). Brad, again, patched me up and we are hoping for a night without any ER visits and an uneventful weekend.

I have to say, Brad deserves the "Husband of the Year" award for being my doctor, nurse and rock throughout this whole ordeal.

2 comments:

Whitney said...

And you deserve Mother of the Year. And you with your blood phobia! Geez.

Bonnie said...

Emily, so sorry that you have been going through so much....you and Brad are so strong and seem to be handling it with so much patience and grace....sending hugs and prayers your way! btw, Arnold is so beautiful! congrats!