Thursday, August 12, 2010

One Week Home

We brought Arnold home one week ago Thursday - and what a week it has been. First of all, Arnold is the perfect baby. Cries when he is wet or hungry and gets cuter every day. He is increasingly alert, but continues to spend most of his days sleeping peacefully. There is nothing better than cuddling up with him sleeping on my chest for an afternoon nap. I just want to capture every minute. Arnold has been perfect and, as much as I enjoyed my hospital stay, there is no place like home.

What started off as a perfect post-natal experience, has turned into quite the ordeal. In summary - our first week has gone like this:

Thursday, August 5 (day 1) - arrived home with Arnold in the afternoon. Everything was perfect. Night went as well as can be expected - nursing is going well.

Friday, August 6 (day 2) - another good day. Emma Claire went to school and Rowie and I had a quiet day with Arnold at home.
Whitney and Hope came by for a visit.

Saturday, August 7 (day 3) - A rainy morning at home. Rowie took Emma Claire to Little Gym and Arnold I had a nice morning.
THEN Saturday night - the craziness began. Around 8pm, I feel a little "pop" at my incision and immediately feel bleeding. Now, I am uneasy
at the thought of and physically ill at the sight of blood - especially when it is myself. Thank goodness Brad was home and is calm. Emma Claire, also was calm, as was Rowie. So, Brad took over and had me lie on the floor and apply pressure. Emma Claire held my hand and stroked my hair. Brad called the nurse line for advice and they said I need to go to the ER since I am taking blood thinners. So, we packed up Arnold (Rowie: "will 10 diapers be enough?" - I was sure hoping so). Emma Claire stayed with Rowie. Off we go - back to Abbott, anticipating that we would be there waiting until 2 am on a Saturday night. Arnold's first "outing". We were pleasantly surprised to get back to a room immediately and be seen by a doctor about 30 minutes later. The bleeding had stopped, she said it was blood and fluid that had accumulated between the layers of stitches and created a pressure that caused the opening and bleeding. So, they dressed it, had me walk around. No more bleeding. Come back if it bleeds more. Soooo...sure enough, I woke up at 4am to feed Arnold and there was a nice amount of blood in bed from the incision. Off we go again (Arnold in tow). This time, the doctor we saw poked around in there, drained and dressed it and said to see my OB doc early in the week. OK. Home we go at 7am.

Sunday, August 8 (day 4) - Lots of sleeping. So tired. Still bleeding. Brad changing the dressings for me. I still can't look at the incision - might pass out. Adrian and Elissa visited.

Monday, August 9 (day 5) - Arnold is to see Dr. Hobbs this morning. Emma Claire is to go to school. Change in plans - Emma Claire has a 101.9 fever. She goes with us to see Dr. Hobbs. STREP? Are you kidding me. Instructions: keep Arnold and Emma Claire as separate as possible for 48 hours. Penicillin shot or antibiotics. Shot, I decided without hesitation. Knock it out. Poor Emma Claire. Apparently it is a pretty hefty, painful shot. She had more trouble with the soreness from that (limping around all day) than from the strep. Again - thank goodness for Rowie. Arnold ultimately made it through without getting sick.

Tuesday, August 10 (day 6) - To the OB doc for follow up - with Arnold and Emma Claire and Rowie. He makes it bleed MORE! Pokes and prods. I lay on the exam table sweating like I had run 5 miles. He packed it with some coagulant "stuff" to hopefully slow the bleeding.

Wednesday, August 11 (day 7) - BACK to the clinic. Again, Arnold AND Emma Claire in tow. MORE poking and prodding. This time, the incision was packed with gauze and there was mention of MAYBE having to go back to the OR to address the issue.

Thursday, August 12 (one week home) - Emma Claire is now well enough to go back to school - hallelujah! Back to the clinic with Rowie and Arnold. Things are looking up a bit and not nearly as stressful. At this point we are pretty good friends with all the staff. Arnold is a superstar at the office. Dr. Morton (my outstanding hematologist) says hold the Lovenox for 36 hours. Reschedule the stent procedure (which was scheduled for next Monday).
Back again on Friday - with Brad - for the OB doc to teach HIM to pack my incision over the weekend :-). Will keep you posted.

What a time. Can't complain - what a beautiful baby boy we have to show for it.

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

Wow Emily, I had no idea you had been through so much.....what a blessing it is to have Brad and family there to help you through all of this....I hope things are on the mend and that the craziness calms down to a "fun" craziness real soon!