Friday, February 20, 2009

First Steps

Emma Claire has been taking 2, 3, 4 steps here and there for a couple of weeks. Wednesday, however, she decided it was time to stop the baby steps and walk for real. It happened at ECFE, which was fun because she had a captive audience of mommies (and one daddy) and early childhood educators to cheer her on and feel genuinely proud (I may have detected a couple of tears).

What happened was, she was playing with the other babies with some old vitamin bottles filled with stuff to make them rattle (these people are much more creative than I). I think another baby tried to take one away from her, which was not OK with Emma Claire. She spotted mommy and with one bottle in each hand, pouted her way over...upright!

Ms. Kathy (teacher, who I love) thought the bottles may have helped her with balance. I think they probably prevented her from being able to crawl...the last thing she was willing to do was let them go with the possibility that someone else would grab them.

Sweet beginnings.

2 comments:

Amber D said...

Yay! How exciting! First walking, just after first b-day. Nothing's going to stop EC now! :-)

Whitney said...

I got a little teary! Every new first is so sweet. With you two as parents, she's going to be doing round-offs and no-hands cartwheels before long. :-)